Dental crowns from your dentist in Arlington, VA, can restore your smile
How much do you know about dental crowns? If you are thinking of the bulky discolored dental crowns of yesteryear, think again! Today’s crowns are made of materials that are so lifelike, you won’t be able to tell them apart from your natural teeth.
Dr. Bruce Hanley in Arlington, VA, offers comprehensive dental care services, including dental crowns to help your smile.
The fact is, dental crowns help your smile in many ways. These are just a few of the advantages of dental crowns:
- They provide superb protection; dental crowns cover the entire visible surfaces of your teeth, above the gumline. That means when you bite down on a dental crown, your tooth is protected from the extreme biting and shearing forces of chewing.
- They provide natural-looking beauty; porcelain is a popular dental crown material, and it has unique properties. Porcelain reflects light. It also closely resembles natural tooth enamel. These two properties alone make your dental crown look virtually identical to a natural tooth.
- They can replace old, bulky, leaking metal fillings, providing great protection and exquisite beauty. When you choose dental crowns to restore your smile, you will have a smile that is both stronger, and more beautiful.
- They can strengthen teeth that are weakened by root canal therapy, severe decay, and other factors. When you choose dental crowns to restore your smile, you won’t have to worry about breaking a tooth.
You can choose from a full porcelain crown, which offers strength and amazing beauty, but sometimes you need more strength, especially for back teeth. For back teeth, a porcelain-fused-to-metal, or PFM crown, is often recommended because it combines the strength of a metal foundation with the beauty of porcelain.
Dental crowns can give you the smile you deserve, a strong, beautiful smile! To find out more about how dental crowns can help your smile, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Bruce Hanley in Arlington, VA, at (703) 524-7100. Call now!
Which tooth replacement option is right for you? Know the pros and cons.
In the past, there weren’t a whole lot of options if you were missing one or more permanent teeth. Today, our Arlington, VA, dentist Dr. Bruce Hanley offers everything from dentures to dental implants, which can be tailored and customized to you and your smile. Of course, if you’re not sure which option is right for you, you’ve come to the right place. We break down the differences between implants and dentures to help make the decision-making process a little easier for you.
What are dentures?
Dentures are removable devices that hold one or more artificial teeth. There are two kinds of dentures, partial and complete. As the names suggest, partial dentures are used when you still have some natural teeth left and complete dentures are used in cases where there are no natural teeth.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants consist of two parts, a small screw and a dental crown. During a minor surgery, a small screw is inserted into the jawbone. Then it is given time to heal and fuse with the bones and surrounding tissue. This creates a strong base that mimics a natural tooth’s root. Once the healing period is over, your dentist will fit the implant with an artificial tooth that is designed to match the rest of your smile.
Which tooth replacement option is right for you?
From these descriptions alone, you can tell that both treatment options are vastly different, but you may still be wondering which one will work best with your smile. There are many deciding factors, but here are some of the most important ones:
The health of your smile: If you are dealing with weak or unhealthy gums, dental implants may not be a good match. This is particularly true for those dealing with severe gum disease that’s not been treated. Since gum disease often leads to tooth loss, it can cause dental implants to fail. It’s important that you are maintaining healthy gums and natural teeth before you have a restoration placed.
Plus, if you’re dealing with weakened gums, it can delay or cause complications during the healing process. This same logic holds true for those with jaws problems. If you have gum or jaw problems, dentures may be a better alternative.
The number of teeth you’re missing: If you are only missing a couple of teeth and your mouth is healthy, a dental implant is a popular choice for replacing these teeth. If you have good oral hygiene, your dental implants are meant to last a lifetime.
The cost of treatment in Arlington, VA: While dental implants will cost more than dentures will upfront, maintenance and care costs will be low, so it’s considered a long-term investment in your oral health. If you are concerned about cost and want to keep expenses low, dentures are a great, cost-effective solution for replacing missing teeth. We would be happy to discuss costs and finances with you to help you get the tooth replacement option you want without worrying about the expense.
You could also have the best of both with implant-supported dentures. Call Dr. Hanley’s practice at (703) 524-7100 to schedule a consultation with our Arlington, VA, dental team. We would be happy to sit down with you and discuss your options.
Dental implants are a modern and long-lasting treatment for restoring missing teeth. They are more secure than traditional treatments, although they require a greater initial investment of time to achieve this longevity. To learn more about how dental implants can improve your smile get in contact with Dr. Bruce Hanley in Arlington, VA.
They Won't Impact Adjacent Teeth
Dental bridges continue to be a very popular and effective treatment for restoring a missing tooth. They use the teeth neighboring the gap to support your replacement tooth. Dental implants on the other hand are supported by a titanium post, the implant, onto which the new crown is attached. So there is no need to alter neighboring teeth in any way.
They Will Last a Long Time
The implant becomes permanently bonded onto the bone through a process called osseointegration, which is the lengthiest part of the treatment but it's also what allows it to last for a very long time. Only the crown may need to eventually be replaced, but with proper care, they can last over a decade, or more.
They Look and Perform Like Your Natural Teeth
Your new dental crown will give your smile back its natural appearance while returning to your tooth its function. Because the implanted titanium post works in a very similar way to the root of a natural tooth, you can expect to use your new tooth as you would any other.
They Can Restore Your Entire Smile
Implant-supported dentures can help to replace multiple teeth with full or partial dentures. Just as they sound, they are dentures that are supported by dental implants, but without the usual complaints associated with the dental appliance. Such as that of shifting when you eat or speak as it's attached securely onto the implants. With the added benefit that you do not require an implant for every tooth restored.
Dental Implants in Arlington, VA
Come into the office today to discuss with your dentist your expectations for the treatment and to find out if you're a candidate, and what can be done to make you into one. Schedule your appointment today with Dr. Hanley in Arlington, VA, by dialing (703) 524-7100.
Did you know that most people desire a whiter smile--up to 90 percent, says the American Association of Orthodontists? But, over time, those pearly whites are harder to achieve by yourself. At Bruce Hanley, DDS and Associates in Arlington, VA, we offer teeth whitening that's both professional and effective. There's no guesswork; you get the smile you want safely.
The causes of dental stains
Food, drinks, tobacco, drugs, injury, and the aging process all contribute to dental discoloration, those brown or gray stains which detract from your smile appearance. For many people, their teeth acquire a color-changing accumulation of organic matter even though they may brush and floss as they should. These extrinsic stains are the easiest to remove.
Other people have color changes due to accidents, prescription drugs, or other circumstances. These deep, intrinsic stains are unresponsive to all whitening methods and must be camouflaged with veneers or crowns.
Professional teeth whitening
Dr. Hanley sees many patients in his Arlington, VA, office who wish to brighten their smiles, and he can help, provided your teeth and gums are healthy. Dr. Hanley offers several teeth whitening options: Zoom! Whitening with its innovative activation light, Rembrandt and Venus take-home whitening, and Kor deep bleaching, cold proprietary gels.
After a complete oral exam in your dental office in Arlington, VA, you discuss your options with Dr. Hanley. Whichever product you choose, count on wonderful results--eight to 10 shades.
And, you're assured of safety--that is, no dental or gum sensitivity. Unfortunately, over the counter products often produce this painful sensation.
1. Professional teeth whitening is safe for your teeth, gums, and other soft tissues.
2. It works. Stains lift right out of tooth enamel, and they are gone.
3. Your dentist offers many whitening options. Choose the one suited to your smile and timeline. (In-office whitening takes about an hour. Take-home options take some days, depending on the product.)
4. Results last. Keep that Hollywood looks with brushing and flossing at home, regular cleanings with Dr. Hanley, and touch-ups as needed. Avoid drinks and foods which stain, and stop smoking if possible.
Find out more
At Bruce Hanley, DDS and Associates in Arlington, VA, our professional team offer an impressive menu of cosmetic services, including popular teeth whitening. Contact us for a consultation, won't you? Phone (703) 524-7100.
Tips for Preventing Gum Disease
As the understanding of gum disease has grown, medical experts now know that it can increase your risk of many major health conditions including diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. So it’s vital that you protect your gums to maintain good oral and general health. Dr. Bruce Hanley is a dentist at Bruce Hanley and Associates in Arlington, VA. He provides general and cosmetic dental services and can help you protect your gums from disease. Here are some tips for preventing gum disease.
- Maintain good oral hygiene practices: Good oral health starts at home. Regular brushing alone is not enough to protect your gums from periodontal disease. To provide the best protection, you should also floss at least once each day to reduce the build-up of plaque between your teeth. Using an antibacterial mouthwash after brushing and flossing can further reduce your risk of gum disease.
- Eat a healthy diet: Avoiding sugary foods and beverages can limit your risk of tooth decay and damage to your gums. Increasing your vitamin C intake can also help prevent gum disease because it can help to prevent your gums from swelling, bleeding, and receding. Staying hydrated can also produce saliva that can fight off bacteria on your teeth and gums.
- Get regular dental check-ups: This allows Dr. Hanley to recognize the early warning signs of gum disease so he can stop it in its tracks before it gets out of control.
- Quit smoking: Using tobacco products is harmful to your gum tissue and should be avoided.
If you live in or around Arlington, VA, and you would like to find out more about protecting your gums from disease, call Dr. Hanley today at (703) 524-7100 to schedule an appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.